4/02/2007

That Girl

Marlo Thomas was the original That Girl. Her character was cute and independent, so being That Girl was a good thing. But there are other times being That Girl isn’t so good. Last weekend there was a new That Girl in town, and this time it wasn’t so pretty. It was That Girl.

And That Girl, my friends…was me.

Last Friday I had the pleasure of being a red-dressed bridesmaid in my friend Sandy’s wedding in California (thanks Downs!). The next day her husband summed things up quite accurately by saying, “Every wedding has a That Girl, and this time it was you.” He was right. I guess any event that begins with champagne at noon is bound to end on a rough note, especially with That Girl lurking around. (and of course she never brings a date)

Here is evidence that I was, in fact, That Girl for an evening:

The Cake I don’t recall actually seeing the cake cutting. I am pretty sure I heard it announced, but unless it was conducted surreptitiously, there’s a chance That Girl either missed it entirely or has since erased all visual images from her memory.

The Glass Normal people dance with both hands freely swinging from their bodies. That Girl dances with only one free hand. The other holds a glass of red wine spilling everywhere. Yet That Girl can’t conclude that putting the glass down might be a reasonable solution.

The Dance The electric slide proved to be quite a challenge. But That Girl says it's a stupid dance anyway, and quite frankly, I agree. (I'll teach you the electric slide? Apparently not.)

The Wedding Coordinator Ok, so I hit on the wedding coordinator. Hard. Blatantly. In my defense, I must say if you know my type she was ex-ACT-ly my type. She was gorgeous in a very unique, intense way. So That Girl took a shot, but, alas, no luck with the wedding coordinator. That Girl was totally taken by Straight Girl. Or maybe That Girl was totally taken by Prefers People Who Can Make Complete Sentences Girl.

The Shoes My feet were killing me, so I took off my shoes as soon as possible. That’s not unheard of at a wedding. But That Girl left her shoes under the table and went home barefoot!

The Toasts Weren’t people supposed to give toasts?

So it seems That Girl made quite an appearance and had a very good time! The wedding was beautiful, I didn’t trip in the aisle, nobody has stopped speaking to me, and the happy couple is now on their honeymoon in Europe.

As for the wedding coordinator, well, I like to think it’s her loss…

In review:


That Girl

That Girl